Saturday, September 15, 2012

Interviewing People Can Be a Bit Awkward... Sometimes.


Overall, I am a very laid back person. If you know me, you would be familiar with my outgoing and somewhat-obnoxious attitude. However, I am quite reserved when I am around people whom I do not know well — especially strangers. I guess that is a common standing ground for most people.

While taking the course, “Reporting and Writing the News I” at the University of New Hampshire, I have allowed myself to become familiar with social encounters that do not involve people I know.

I learned that when interviewing people, one needs charisma and confidence, which are both the foundations of public speaking. Reading the text book has also encouraged me to make sure that I have total control and power over interviews, so they do not go awry. Although a dramatic interview would make for a good story on its own, it would jeopardize my integrity as a “professional” journalist, as well as my story.

So far, I have learned to just be myself when interviewing people. At first, I felt as if I was bothering people when I interviewed them, which made me feel insecure. However, I had to reassure myself that there was nothing wrong with interviewing people, and if I was a roadblock in someone’s day, then I always had the ability to quickly move on to another source.

I have had very little experience with interviewing others in person. When I was in high school, I would do most of my interviews via email and other social networking sites, which proved much easier, since people could answer whenever was convenient for them. I also did not have to worry about meeting someone and talking to them face-to-face.

It’s time to grow up and move on. I can do this.

Look out world, here I come. Get your words ready, because I am going to write down and capture everything that you have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment