Sunday, September 23, 2012

What I Learned in Class that Day

Scouring for stories can be a nuisance. It's a huge nuisance, in fact.

However, doing that exercise in class taught me to be more adventurous, and to realize that stories really do lurk around every corner.

I mostly found out and learned about different curricular activities offered at UNH that I would never have even known about if I had not went out to look for them. Of these activities, I noticed advertisements for a hammock club. I think writing a feature story on this club would be very interesting, especially since people may want to read about what the club's actual function is... and where hammocks would be allocated during the winter months.

I also noticed an advertisement for an NRA meeting, which I have gone to, in order to write a story about the debate over gun control. I'm glad that I went to the event, since I learned a lot about the NRA as well as constitutional rights.

I feel like it is imperative to just go and find a story without actually searching for one. Walking around a public building and staring at classrooms and bulletin advertisements are more than enough to draw in a good story. It may not be current "breaking" news, but it may be something interesting for the writer to want to research and write about... and, to me, that's all that matters. If the reader doesn't want to read it, then fine, he or she doesn't have to. But, the important thing is that I ventured out and discovered something new to convey to someone else.

So far, I have noticed the following as intriguing stories, albeit a story has already been covered by The New Hampshire. Maybe a follow-up as a regular news story could be written to raise more awareness instead of an editorial.

No comments:

Post a Comment